Tom's Gravity Pages
Super Gravity Page
Unofficial SUPER Gravity Release Notes
Page updated: Saturday, January 24, 2004
WARNING: WARNING: Database format change! Builds 2052 and up share a
common database format that is not compatible with earlier versions! You should save a backup if you want to return
to earlier versions.
Q: Where did my draft messages go?
A: Newer versions have a separate draft folder. Go to "View - Draft Messages"
|Gravity's online Help has not been updated to include the Super Gravity features or changes. It may never be updated.|
** Build 2060 (January 20, 2004)(also see Builds 2058 and 2059)
- [-] FIXED - Some longs URLs caused the "Repair URL" function to
crash the application
- [+] NEW - "Back to Draft" command sends an article from the
Outbox back to the draft folder for re-editing. It is
intended to replace the "Back to Editing" button that
was in earlier versions
Version 2.6 Build 2059 (January 15, 2004)
- [+] NEW - "Decode to" command overrides the decode directories
Command: "Article - Decode to .."
- [+] NEW - Check box to turn on/off X-Faces
Command: View - Global Options - Display - Show X-Faces
- [-] FIXED - Created date in draft message window
Version 2.6 (Build 2058) (January 11, 2004)
- [-] FIXED - URL highlighting works as it did before. Copying an URL
with the mouse does not cause the link to open the browser
- [+] NEW - "Repair URL" command (right click in article pane) allows you
to send a wrapped URL to the browser.
Useage: Highlight the entire URL - right click - select "Repair URL"
- [+] NEW - X-Face support
Version 2.6 Build 2057 (September 8, 2003)
- [+] Changed - Gravity now accepts y n m g from the List Command.
There was a problem with Hamster and gatewayed groups (Gravity did not accept g)
- [+] New - Gravity sends User-Agent header instead of X-Newsreader, with the version/build number
- [+] New - added commas to the line count
- [-] RFC 2047 Tweaks
Version 2.6 Build 2056 (May 12, 2003)
- [+] New - setting to link a signature to a group (Newsgroup - Properties - Signature)
- [+] New - settings to send Raw 8 bit, ("From" and "Subject" headers)
- [+] Adds "source" view to show raw article (Article - Show Source)
- [-] Fixed the spelling and "Gravity Lite" Bug in 2051
- [-] Fixed the Bozo Bin crash bug
- [-] Fixed several RFC 2047 encoding bugs
Version 2.6 Build 2051 (April 30, 2003)
- [+] Uses RFC 2047 encodings on the "Subject" and "From" lines.
- [+] Adds autosave decode jobs (Image Factory)
- [+] Adds option to send 8-bit chars (7 bit was a problem in fr.* groups)
(Global Options Encoding) NOTE: This build will
always encode 8 bit characters in "Subject" and "From,"
so will also cause problems in fr.* groups if 8 bit characters are posted.
- [-] Changed some char set tables
- [-] Fixed bug in the re-edit drafts
- [-] Removed the code to check the MP website for updates, so Gravity no longer needs WinInet.dll
Version 2.6 Build 2046 (March 22, 2003)
[+] New - News URLs and message IDs are sent to Google. See Build 2043
for more information. However, unless you are doing a "clean" install with the new
installer, you will need to make a small registry change for
proper URL recognition.
[+] New - Complete install package for ver 2.6 available. You can also extract
files with any PKZip-compatible program. New users should not need to install
version 2.3 or version 2.5 first. The stand alone Gravity binary will continue to be available
to save bandwidth. However, if you are only replacing the executable, you should
apply the registry fix shown in build 2043.
- [+] New - Export Outbox messages to text files.
- [+] Added more error handling to reduce database corruption.
Gravity attempts to catch errors and the program tries to find the last valid article-body
and truncate the file properly. This should make it useable again.
- [+] When thread sorting by score, for 0 scored articles - secondary sort is date,
tertiary is subject.
- [+] Modernized sorting code. The user will not notice but the code has been
redone a bit to use STL stuff instead of MFC stuff.
- [+] New - Draft messages are saved in their own folder. You can view
them with the menu "View - Draft Messages" (actually changed in Build 2043)
- Manual Decode is fixed.
- Increased the height of the middle list box in the Image Factory.
- Fixed bug in the logic for the quick filter dialog. When selecting both
From and Subject, the logic acted as an AND condition. Now it should be OR.
- Fixed old bug - hang when closing Gravity during decode.
- Filters - Corrected Sort Order when Threading by Score, Ascending/Descending.
This applied to filters. When thread sorting by score - ascending and descending were
reversed. Fixed now.
- Draft messages cannot be called for editing more than once (fixed in Build 2049)
- Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit causes problems in fr.* groups where they like to
send an 8bit header.
Version 2.6 Build 2043 (March 9, 2003)
This version was never announced publicly, because it was superceded by 2046 so quickly.
- [+] Sends MIME-Version: 1.0, Content-Type, and Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
headers. Content-Type is set in Global Options Encoding. Note: The 7bit setting
causes some problems in the fr.* groups.
- [+] News URL and Message ID Handling
Gravity will attempt to open a web browser and pass the URL/ID to Google according to the following
Case 1 - News URLs of the following form are sent to
Google with one click.
Case 2 - URLs and e-mail addresses of the following form
are handled by displaying a dialog box that presents a choice of Googling or emailing or doing nothing.
URL recognition depends somewhat on the URL/text wrapping. Sometimes you can pass the
whole URL if you temporarily increase the pane width so that the URL does not wrap. Also, if
more than one URL or ID are showing (such as when viewing all headers), Gravity will not pass
the URL. You can sometimes fix this by DECREASING the pane width temporarily so that
only one URL is on the line.
NOTE: you should apply the registry fix
shown below or some URLs may not be sent properly. You should NOT need to apply this
fix if you did a clean install with the new installer.
|Registry Hack required for proper URL recognition|
Change "NewsPattern" to
Change MailToPattern to something like this:
Basically, the dash/minus sign "-" should come LAST in a bracketed list .
This was an error in earlier versions. If you notice some URLS are not passed correctly
you may need to add a character. Be sure to add the characters to the left of the dash/minus sign.
If you copy and paste from your browser be sure you are not including
The older default NewsPattern setting is provided below for reference.
Version 2.6 Build 2039 (April 25, 2002)
- Build 2039 adds fixes for decoding multi part yEnc articles posted with Hogwasher. Certain articles would cause a Bad Article Error.
- Also there is a fix for the conditions that caused Super Gravity to crash when using a Complete_Binaries filter in a group where an article subject contains 0/0 or 0/00. Other filters were not affected.
Version 2.6 Build 2037 (March 24, 2002)
- Gravity can now handle Base 64 encoded headers for ISO-8859-1 (previously only QP decoded correctly).
- [+] There is a minor addition to the "about" screen. (Menu item help - about). The screen shows the current ANSI code page. It is there as a support aid.
- Bug - (Fixed in build 2039) Super Gravity will crash with an exception if the article subject contains a 0/00 or 0/0 and a Complete_Binaries filter is used (there is no problem with other filters).
This bug also affected earlier versions. Thanks to everyone who helped find this. Until it is fixed you can delete those articles with a rule (or display a warning). A suggested regular expression is:
Version 2.6 Build 2036 (February 2002)
- [+] SMTP Authentication. Gravity can send a username and password to the SMTP server.
No big encryption schemes are supported, just "AUTH LOGIN" and "AUTH PLAIN."
- [+] The "server - properties" tabs are altered to allow the SMTP configuration.
- [+] There is some additional code to display ISO-8859-1 accented characters in the article bodies.
- Gravity now decodes certain multi part binary posts from Hogwasher that previously failed.
Al relaxed Gravity's decoding behavior to deal with them.
- No new bugs (see build 2035). The SMTP authentication has not been tested extensively yet. It was tested on the rogers@home servers successfully.
Version 2.6 Build 2035 (February 2002)
- [+] Adds the following character set support for Quoted-Printable "From" and "Subject" lines.
- ISO-8859-1 (Windows Code Page 1252) (Latin 1 - ANSI)
- ISO-8859-2 (Windows Code Page 1250) (Latin 2 - Central Europe)
(does not display properly)
- Fixed an infrequent little bug where Image Factory would report an incomplete yEnc attachment, even if it was ok.
- ISO-8859-2 does not display correctly.
Version 2.6 Build 2034 (Jan 2002)
- [+] Adds yEnc decoding. Super Gravity can now decode yEnc encoded binaries. You can not however, encode and post using yEnc.
- Buglet - There is a little bug where Image Factory will warn that some single-part yEnc binaries may be incomplete. The decoded attachments are ok. Only the warning is wrong. (fixed in build 2035)
Version 2.6 Build 2032 (Sept 2001)
- Gravity no longer croaks when you feed an invalid regular expression into the new QuickFilter dialogue.
- [+] You will get a friendly warning when using a 'lines' rule condition. This is because, with multi-part binaries, the rule condition sees the individual article line count, not the total line count. Al didn't want anyone to get confused about that. In other words, don't try to make a rule that deletes articles less than 10,000 lines.
Version 2.6 Build 2031 (forgot date ha-ha)
- [+] Adds a Quick Filter floating dialogue box [ screen shot ]. Accessed by keyboard commands "/" or "CONTROL Q." Use "F5" to refresh the display. Note that canceling retains the search string. Killing the dialogue clears the string. See the invalid regular expression bug below.
- [+] Article commands apply to all articles in the complete binary, instead of the first article.
- [+] The ability to copy a filter.
- [+] Speed meter in status bar. Measures the throughput every 5 seconds; display reports the average speed over the last 60 seconds.
- If you enter an invalid regular expression in the new QuickFilter dialogue Gravity will croak with an exception. (fixed in build 2032)
First Unofficial Release (August 2001, v 2.5 no new build number)
- [+] Shows complete multi-part binaries with user-defined filters.
- Manual Decode does not work.
- Article commands apply to one article in the complete set (not exactly a bug but changed in later versions).
Super Gravity is developed by Al Choy
Web page by Tom B. firstname.lastname@example.org